Now You Know

No, by the grace of God, you will NOT plead ignorance. You will NOT testify that you never knew any better because no one ever taught you anything better. You will not plead that you were never told.

Sunday, February 20, 2005

A Lip-Sync Clip You'll Love!

Ok, ok; yes, I know I am the absolute last blogger to finally get around to posting this when the rest of the whole world has already seen it. Nonetheless, I think you'll agree that it's funny and entertaining enough to watch again. That's why I'm providing you a link for it here, and if that one doesn't work try here. For just the lip-syncing guy without the pictures added to the video, click here and choose "Play without subtitles." (If you don't agree that it's funny and entertaining enough to watch again, then sod off, Swampy!)

My interest, apart from the kick I got out of watching this hilarious guy from New Jersey lip-syncing it, is the fact that the song is in Romanian.

For those of you who don't know, Romanian is one of the Romance languages, so called because they come from Roman (i.e. Latin). The other principal Romance languages besides Romanian are Italian, Spanish, Portuguese and French. (Some linguists would add Catalan, Walloon and others, but I'm not going to get in a dispute over whether or not to include them in the classification. After all, I did say principal Romance languages.)

I'll provide the lyrics in Romanian, followed by an English translation for those that have even the slightest interest in foreign languages (or for those who just want to know the words to sing or lip-sync along with the tune. Ha ha).

By the way, the version of the song which is being lip-synced in the video is by O-zone, not the version by Haiducii. (The title is beautiful in both Romanian and in English, isn't it? Yes, it is.)

DRAGOSTEA DIN TEI
by Haiducii

Ma-ia-hii
Ma-ia-huu
Ma-ia-hoo
Ma-ia-haha [This stanza is sung 4 times]

Alo, Salut, sunt eu, un haiduc,
Si te rog, iubirea mea, primeste fericirea.
Alo, alo, sunt eu Picasso,
Ti-am dat beep, si sunt voinic,
Dar sa stii nu-ti cer nimic.

Vrei sa pleci dar nu ma, nu ma iei,
Nu ma, nu ma iei, nu ma, nu ma, nu ma iei.
Chipul tau si dragostea din tei,
Mi-amintesc de ochii tai. [this stanza is sung twice]

Te sun, sa-ti spun, ce simt acum,
Alo, iubirea mea, sunt eu, fericirea.
Alo, alo, sunt iarasi eu, Picasso,
Ti-am dat beep, si sunt voinic,
Dar sa stii nu-ti cer nimic.

English translation:

Love from the Linden Trees
by The Outlaws

[This first stanza is just sounds or nonsense syllables such as "doo wop" or "tra la la," so there is no translation.]
Ma-ia-hii
Ma-ia-huu
Ma-ia-hoo
Ma-ia-haha [four times]

Hello [on a cellphone], greetings, it's me, an outlaw,
I ask you, my love, to accept happiness.
Hello, hello, it's me, Picasso,
I sent you a beep [cellphone signal], and I'm brave [or strong],
But you should know that I'm not asking for anything from you.

You want to leave but you don't want don't want to take me,
don't want don't want to take me, don't want don't want don't want to take me.
Your face and the love from the linden trees,
And I remember your eyes. [sung twice]

I call you [over the phone], to tell you what I feel right now,
Hello, my love, it's me, your happiness.
Hello, hello, it's me again, Picasso,
I sent you a beep [cellphone signal] and I'm brave [or strong],
But you should know that I'm not asking for anything from you.

You can also find the Romanian lyrics and the English translation here.

For those of you who know Spanish, French, Italian or Portuguese, notice the similarities with Romanian.

That's your bit of silly fun, music, and foreign language exposure for the day.

If I can find the name of the lip-syncer for those of you who are curious, I'll post an update.

You've been told and NOW YOU KNOW.

Update: The lip-syncer is Gary Brolsma, 19 years old, of Saddle Brook, New Jersey. MSNBC has an article about him and this web phenomenon that you can read by clicking here.

You've been told and NOW YOU KNOW even more.